August 7, 2012

A Belated Fourth

Man, July was a fun but busy month! With my job in the news industry, there is a good chance I'll have to work some holidays, which I got my first taste of on the Fourth of July. BUT, it wasn't all that bad, really! I've celebrated plenty of Fourth of July's in my day, and I ultimately still got my fill of America. Before work (since I don't work until 3 or 4 p.m.), I was able to hang out at the pool with my roommate and her friends. Funny side story - we couldn't get in touch with her boyfriend to get into the complex where the pool was and literally sat on the sidewalk for about twenty minutes where her treats of strawberries dipped in chocolate completely melted. But people still enjoyed them.



Later at work, we were able to watch Nashville's downtown firework show from our building! It was the best show I've seen in awhile and reminded me of the years my family watched fireworks at Fan Fair (now CMA Fest) from my grandparent's RV. Another coworker and I even decided to have a "make-up Fourth" on July 9 poolside with an ultimate Southern meal - pork tenderloin sandwiches, bacon-wrapped green beans, cream corn, sweet tea and peach cobbler with ice cream. I know, yum! It was delicious and well worth the wait! I wore my Go Heels Go America tank, jorts and boots!



A friend and I went to a Nashville Sounds game (they're Triple-A) since I love some baseball and have such fond memories of Sounds games from when I was a kid. It was a bit different than I remembered (let's just say the Durham Bulls have a MUCH nicer park), but the game was fun, even if we were melting in our seats (that's summer for you). We celebrated my roommate's birthday by renting a Party Trolley. Yes, it's a trolley complete with lights, coolers and twenty of your friends (similar to the party bus). For the two hours we rented it, you could tell it where to go, where to stop, what music to play and more.



Another highlight from July was a quick trip to Chattanooga to visit a friend (for those of you not familiar, it's about 2 hours southeast of Nashville). The drive reminded me of just how beautiful the state of Tennessee is, and it was nice to get away for a bit. We had dinner at a restaurant on the river, The Boathouse, and breakfast at this neat little place, Aretha Frankensteins, where they serve HUGE biscuits and pancakes. My family used to regularly drive through Chattanooga on our way from Nashville to Atlanta. As kids, my brother and I called the city "Chicken Nugget," typical. I've also been to all the tourist attractions there when I was younger like the Tennessee Aquarium, various caverns, Rock City, Ruby Falls and the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel. A trip to Knoxville and/or Memphis is next! (Image: Chattanooga Area Convention & Visitors Bureau)

I'm off to a hair appointment... Those first haircuts in new cities are always risky! 

No comments:

Post a Comment